Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is lethargic and has clear to lightly mucus discharge

Customer Question

She is lethargic and has clear to lightly mucus discharge from her vulva
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kylie and she is 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kylie?
Customer: Not to my knowledge
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has she had signs?

Is Kylie spayed? If not, when was her last season?

Has she had any changes to her urination (ie needing to go more often, passing more or less urine each time, licking her genitals more)?

Any other signs (ie appetite loss, change in thirst, breathing changes, etc)?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She has been showing signs for approximately 2-3 days. I've noticed she left little wet spots 3 days ago, but I naturally assumed maybe she was licking there. Yesterday she began to be sluggish and I notice some discharge from her vagina region. She isn't spayed and I am not sure when she was in season last. It's hard to tell when she is in heat, she leaves almost no trace of blood and isn't around male dogs often. I haven't noticed to much change in urination and its hard to know for sure if it smells funny. We switched to a carbon style pee pad which she has been using because she refuses to go outside right now because of the stormy weather. I'm not sure if the faint odor is caused by the pads or her urine. She hasn't been eating as much. She hasn't even tried to steal food from my toddler plate like usual.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am concerned about your lass.

While we can see vaginal discharge for a range of reasons (ie vaginitis, bladder infections, etc); if she is not spayed, generally feeling unwell, and likely has not had a heat in the past few weeks; then there is concern that this could be a sign of a uterine infection (pyometra). And these can be opened or closed, so sometimes we see heavy pus like discharge but other dogs with closed pyometras will just appear unwell with small volumes of mucus.

So, in this case and since she sounds quite subdued, it would be ideal to have her seen as soon as we can do so. Ideally, we'd want her local vet to check for fever, palpate or scan her abdomen to check for a uterine infection +/- check her generally (ie via exam and bloods) to ensure nothing more is ongoing. Depending on their findings, if she has a uterine infection then an urgent spay would be ideal to remove that infection. Otherwise, if they find another focus of infection then antibiotics may be indicated to get Kylie feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We took her to the local vet, where they preformed an plyomtra(?) surgery. She is doing pretty well. Thanks for help and guidance.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 days ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

I am very glad to hear that they removed that pyometra and that she is on the mend. :)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.