Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Is it safe to castrate a 2.5 pound Maltese even when his

Customer Question

Is it safe to castrate a 2.5 pound Maltese even when his testicles did not drop?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No medications.Doc says no problemm
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Is it safe to castrate a 2.5 pound dog when his testicles did not drop?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with your about your lad. In regards ***** ***** question, it is safe to castrate small dogs with undescended testicles. The approach will just be similar to the way a vet spays a female dog of this size. So, while it is a more invasive operation compared to castration when the testicles have dropped; it is no more invasive then removing the uterus and ovaries of small breed female dogs. And of course, this is wise to have done for him since leaving testicles in the abdomen can lead to them becoming cancerous when he is older.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.