Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a solid mass in his abdomen that wasn't there

Customer Question

My dog has a solid mass in his abdomen that wasn't there yesterday, nausea, vomiting, restless, tachypnic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He's 8. Turkish Mastiff. He is heart worm positive but has been treating with slow kill (positive for two years). Counts have been negligent on blood work though. He keeps standing himself in a corner
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

Is that mass or his abdomen on the whole sore to the touch when you press there?

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, he had not eaten anything he couldn't have. His gums were pale, and he couldn't keep anything down. He was vomiting up frothy slime (not exactly a medical term, but that's what it was like). His whole abdomen was distended and he had a protruding hard mass to one side. The on call emergency vet said it sounded like bloat. Unfortunately I let him outside last night during a vomiting fit while I grabbed my boots and a jacket. He seems to have staggered off, I think to pass away. We are currently searching for him now, but it was in the single digits last night so I don't expect to find him alive. Thank you for your response.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are going to really miss our old man!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Oh dear,

I am so sorry to hear that he has such urgent signs (a bloat, blockage, bleeding mass or even telescoping of the gut itself could cause what we are seeing) and did disappeared. I share your concern for him passing away out there but wish you the best in findings him to help him. Since we were not able to aid you when you posted I will send your question back to customer service.

Please take care,

Dr .B.