How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19652
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate some mint flavor m ms has throw up twice in the

Customer Question

My dog ate some mint flavor m ms has throw up twice in the last 3 hours or so since I believe she ate a small amount not acting different in any way not running crazy panting or anything out of sorts she is a toy poodle about 5 lbs pulled up her food and water just seems to be staying calm
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your toy poodle will be able to digest that. What is the toy poodle's name and age?
Customer: Roxy 4 years in dec
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: Other than the candy she is fine no problems
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Roxy very much, there are now no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, she should be just fine now she has vomited.

2. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 5 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 3.5 ozs { Close to one quarter pound} of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

3. Also in my experience if serious adverse symptoms were going to occur they would normally have started around the two hour mark after ingestion, so if three hours have passed as in your case then the chances are you are in the clear.

4. However here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

5. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation other than just keeping an eye on your dog. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Roxy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Roxy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the M&M issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

How is your dog doing?

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.