Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My small dog has been vomiting most of the day. Is this an

Customer Question

My small dog has been vomiting most of the day. Is this an emergency?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Scooter is vomiting. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- How many times has he vomited?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know of anything unusual he ate. He has tried to vomit many times. He is somewhat lethargic but has gone outside twice. Runs and barks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Scooter weighs 15 lbs

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They are pink

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Hi Charlene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scooter. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter