Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have snow all over the ground. My cocker spaniel, who is

Customer Question

We have snow all over the ground. My cocker spaniel, who is 13 years old, went out to pee early this am. He went but slipped. We came right back in and he has done nothing but sleep all day. He has not eaten, nor has he asked to go back outside. He has slept the entire day. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He also has not eaten all day. As a matter of fact, he hasn't gotten off the sofa
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry to hear your senior Cocker is so lethargic. Is he responsive to you if you attempt to rouse him?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

If you stimulate him to get up does he move slower than normal, stiff gaited or tail tucked?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He looks at me and just continues to lay there. He raised his head but went back to sleep

Did you witness the fall? Did he fall on his side, hip, head? Is his gum color nice and pink?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did see him slip and when he got up, he walked with me back to the garage and up the steps. His gums look pink

Glad his gums look pink. If you pinch his rear toes will he retract them? Also are they the same temperature as the front toes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Temperature of both front and back are the same. The back feet are retracted because that is the way they are when he sleeps. Should I pick him up and take him outside?

Right but what I am trying to do is determine if he has sensation so pinching is necessary to achieve this information. You can certainly carry him outside and see if he collapses, walks gingerly, or has no changes in comparison to his normal walk

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thanks a lot

Please let me know what you discover

I am checking in on your senior friend. How did he do while outside?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He did just fine.. I was just very concerned. Thanks for your help!

Oh that is a huge relief! Thanks so much for the update :)

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!