Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is peeing when she sits or lays. She is about 13 so I

My dog is peeing when she sits or lays. She is about 13 so I am guessing older age issues. She is a lab Shepard mix. Is there anything she can take that will help her? I also have a male that is marking everywhere on purpose. They are both active. One is 10 and the other 13. They eat regularly and play constantly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help One. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about One?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

This unfortunately can be quite common in senior spayed dogs

First, even though she is not showing any signs it would be advised to collect a first morning sample and rule out a urinary tract infection. Some dogs will not show any other signs besides leaking and I had this case just last month in a senior pet

For more information on urinary incontinence in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/urinary-incontinence-in-dogs

Once a uti is ruled out there are two medication options to treat this problem

1.) Proin which is given once to twice daily. I always take a baseline blood pressure to ensure there is no issue before starting this medication because it can exacerbate hypertension if undiagnosed

2.) Estrogen which is compounded and given 2-3 times weekly longterm. The primary side effect can be bone marrow suppression so it is advised to check a cbc prior to starting this medication and about one month in to ensure it has not effected the bone marrow production of red and white cells

Both are very effective and every veterinarian has a preference. I prefer proin but personally my dog got loose stool on it so she is on an estrogen supplement. Both of these are shown to strengthen the urinary bladder sphincter so that when relaxed female dogs do not urinate

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with in trying to control her urination issues

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about the 10 year old male?

Is he fixed? Sorry I thought you were mostly worried about her since it was while she was resting whereas it sounds more like marking with him

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's what I feared haha. Thanks

Sorry! It would be best to rule out an infection with him or a prostate inflammation but if he has been doing it for a little while it might just be bad boy behavior :(

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!