Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog usual come on heat at the end of January, she hasn't

Customer Question

My dog usual come on heat at the end of January, she hasn't had any pups , we have tried 3 mating and the last time she reabsorbed the litter , we tried to have her spayed but after cutting her open they had to stop op as her heart went crackers and they nearly lost her ,she is a 6 year old Labrador ,she is very fit and healthy Gundogs
My question is for about the last 2 weeks she seems very anxious and jumpy and restless will this be due to her oncoming season
Thank you Fiona
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Fiona
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today. Yes it is possible it is due to her oncoming heat cycle but the best thing to reduce the anxiety is regular leash exercise 45+ minutes daily and mental stimulation with toys that are puzzles. If necessary your veterinarian can also dispense anti anxiety medication to help get through this period. If she is coming into heat then you might note the increased vulvar size, licking the vulva, mammary development again and keeping her from males would be advised if she is an anesthetic risk

I hope this information makes sense but I will await further comments to assist you to your satisfaction

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!