Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My little min yorkie Sophie doesn't seem to be able to poop.

Customer Question

My little min yorkie Sophie doesn't seem to be able to poop. I've checked her behind but don't see anything that could be blocking her poop. She is 3 years old . I've only had her since April.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Has she been straining?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Now I have not heard back from you but do want to leave my thoughts about your lass’s situation. If you feel Sophie has constipation but you find any obvious belly pain when you press, she has vomiting or could have eaten something that could have caught in her gut; then we’d want her seen by your local vet urgently.

If we can rule those out, then we can try some support at home to help restore normal fecal passage and regularity. First, we sometimes find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. This can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Further to all of this, we can increase Sophie's dietary fiber by mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into her food Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage her to drink if she isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure she has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if she is won’t drink properly for you.

Overall, if she is struggling to pass stool then we’d want to give her a bit of a "push" to do so. Therefore, at this point, we’d want to start the above supportive care to just get things moving. If you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today or any of those signs I noted before; then we'd want to have her vet have a feel of her GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.