Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

When I woke up this morning I found my dog's deramaxx

When I woke up this morning I found my dog's deramaxx botttle empty with the lid chewed off. I'm pretty sure Jack did it, not Toby. Toby takes 1 - 100 mg pill every other night with her dinner to help cope with the pain of severe arthritis. My other dog Jack weighs around 80-85 lbs. There were 6 or 7 100mg pills in the container before he got to it. He seems fine (so does Toby). I have no idea how many hours ago this happened. In fact I really can't be 100% sure that he ate them all himself (Toby comes running when ever she hears anyone eating anything).
I don't know if I need to take them both to the emergency animal hospital and have their stomachs pumped or if I should try to induce vomiting in both the dogs. IS 600-700mg dose of Deramaxx considered an overdose or should I just go ahead and put their mornin
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should I just go ahead and put their morning food out?
Toby is also a large dog (95-100 lb female american bulldog).

Gastrointestinal ulceration can be seen at 20mg/kg and kidney failure can occur at 30mg/kg. At a dose of 700mg and a weight of 80 pounds, Jack is at risk for gastrointestinal ulceration. Jack would be at risk for kidney failure at 10 tablets and Toby would be at risk for gastrointestinal ulceration at 900mg (in case your underestimated the number of pills left). I would suggest giving them 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide each (only once) and see if they vomit any of the pills.

Also, let me know if either dog has a history of GI or kidney problems since that would make them more susceptible to adverse effects of Deramaxx overdose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No History....Will give hydrogen peroxide now. Thank you

Let me know if either dog vomits any of the Deramaxx tablets. If they ate them over two hours ago, then it may be too late to recover the medication through causing vomiting. It is definitely worth a try. Usually the peroxide causes vomiting in about 15 minutes IF it is going to work. Please don't repeat the dose since this can cause irritation of the stomach lining.

Did your dogs vomit any of the Deramaxx tablets?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both dogs have thrown up. Jack 5 times, Toby 2. Jack's first two were full of food. I even recognized the last bite of my bagel from late yesterday afternoon that I accidentally dropped-he got to it before I did. I went through the waste carefully and didn't see any of the pills. The last 3 were just stomach fluids/acids. Toby had much less in her stomach. No recognizable Deramaxx pills. So how long does it take Deramaxx to dissolve after the ingest it? Both dags are acting just like they usually do (except for the induced vomiting). Are there symptoms I should be watching for?
I read something about treating them with activated charcoal if the hydrogen peroxide didn't produce results......
What should I do now?

The tablets might dissolve after a couple of hours. The safest thing to do at this point, without being sure which dog ate exactly how many tablets, would be to take both dogs to the vet. They will likely use activated charcoal, start gastroprotectants to avoid GI ulceration and keep them on IV fluids to help flush the drug (if there) and protect their kidneys.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If the pills are already dissolved
are there any kind of physical symptoms that a dog Who overdosed should be exhibiting?

Symptoms can occur anywhere from 4 hours to 72 hours after ingestion and may include loss of appetite, vomting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and coma. Once symptoms appear, then it is much more difficult to treat medically. It is best to prevent symptoms by seeking veterinary care whenever the tablets can't be expelled from the body by vomiting.

Are you able to take your dogs to the vet now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not until first thing tomorrow morning would that be too late?

Yes, there is the potential for serious complications if Jack ate more than 7 tablets or if Toby ate more than 9 tablets. If there is absolutely no emergency veterinary care within dringing distance in your area, then you can give Jack and Toby 40mg of Pepcid AC (i.e. generic antacid famotidine) by mouth every 12 hours and get to your vet ASAP in the morning. This might help prevent gastrointestinal ulceration from Deramaxx overdose BUT it is not a substitute for the care they would receive at the vet which is best admnistered now.

Sorry for the typo, that should read within driving distance

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK… does it have to be Pepcid AC? I have omeprazole 20mg and ranitidine 150mg on hand. They are both acid reducers…
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
seven was the absolute maximum number of pills that could've been in that jar …I believe there were really only I believe there were really only four or five

If you are correct about the number of tablets being seven at most, then Jack is really only at risk for gastrointestinal ulceration and Toby would be okay. However, to be safe, you can give Jack four 20mg Prilosec tablets (80mg) and Toby five 20mg Prilosec tablets every 12 hours until you can get to the vet in the morning. This is a high end dose just to be extra proactive in preventing a problem with GI ulceration. I'd suggest hiding the tablets in a small treat to make administration easier.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is peanut butter OK ? they both like peanut butter…
Is that all I should get them until I take them to the vet ? should I not give them their dinner tonight? They both eat a combination of iams and purina one dry dog food.

You can hide the pills in a small amount of peanut butter. You can feed both dogs their normal diets for dinner this evening and again for breakfast as usual provided there is no vomiting in which case I'd postpone feeding for 2-4 hours.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much for all your help and advice!

You're very welcome, I hope Toby and Jack do well and don't have any side effects from the Deramaxx!! Please keep me posted on how things go.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do! Thank you again.

My pleasure.

I hope Toby and Jack are both doing well. Please let me know how things went yesterday at the vet and if they are okay.

Thanks so much,

Customer
Hi Anna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?
Customer

I hope Jack and Toby are well. I noticed you have not accepted my answer and wanted to make sure you were satisfied with my service. Please let me know if you need additional information regarding your question. If not, the kindness of an accept and positive rating would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good morning!I am sorry I didn't get back to you last week. I was out of town for work and super busy. Both dogs are fine. Neither needed any special care from their regular vet.
This service is a wonderful thing. It saved me from spending a great deal of money last Sunday at the hour emergency vet. I will be leaving you a 5 star review.

Hi Anna,

Thank you so much for the positive rating. I'm glad to hear your babies are doing well. It was a pleasure helping you.

If you receive any other emails regarding this question, they will be computer generated and you can disregard those.

Have a great week,

Customer