Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

Recently moved to RV,big change,he has no appetite,

Customer Question

Recently moved to RV,big change,he has no appetite, dropping, no motivation,he has been on a leash,so probably not poison
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: His normal food plus a few treats,his bro is fine.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question about your dog. The lack of appetite and lethargy are concerning. Although you mention a recent move which can be stressful, I would hesitate to assume the problem is stress related. Can you tell me the age and breed of your dog? Has he had any vomiting or diarrrhea? When was the last time he ate normally?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
7yr old boxer mix,vomiting x1,3days since last meal,has been thirsty.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stools are well formed and clear of blood.

I would definitely recommend that you take your dog to the vet since 3 days without eating suggests a serious problem. His lack of appetite is likely from nausea which can be caused by many things such as garden variety gastrointestinal upset, ingesting a non-food item (not necessarily a toxin), pancreatitis, kidney or liver problems, etc. Your vet will want to do a full exam and then recommend diagnostics and treatment. Whether your dog has a painful abdomen, fever, etc., will determine how aggressive diagnostics need to be (i.e. blood work, x-rays, etc.) or if presumptive treatment can be tried such as medication for nausea, an appetite stimlant and special diet.

Are you able to take your dog to the vet today? If not, I can suggest some at home treatment but it is really best for your dog to see a vet ASAP.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do to weather I am in a rest area. Any advise is good.

If you have Pepcid AC that may help with nausea. Your dog can be given 10mg per 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. You can encourage small amounts of bland low fat foods such as chicken breast without skin or fat and boiled white rice, turkey or chicken lunch meat every 4 hours or so (i.e. provided there is no vomting). Also keep your dog near water since he is likely to get dehydrated and may not feel like getting up to drink if he is lethargic/weak. I don't recommend forcing food or water since that is likely to cause vomiting in a dog that has already vomiting once and is refusing food. Of course, keep your dog warm and comfortable as possible and observe him for any signs of further decline such as more vomiting, gagging, panting or restless behavior (may suggest abdominal pain).

I wanted to check in and see how things are going with your dog. Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thank you,

Customer/p>

Hi there,

I hope your dog is feeling better. I noticed you have not provided a feedback rating for my response to your question and wanted to make sure that you were satisfied with the information I provided. Please let me know if you have other questions about your dog's problem. If not, the kindness of a positive rating and accept of my answer would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Customer