Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My miniature Schnauzer, Lucy, is experiencing gelatinous red

Customer Question

Good morning. My miniature Schnauzer, Lucy, is experiencing gelatinous red diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite and extreme thirst. She also has a severe rash on her rear legs and chest. Help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: She is a rescue, so I'm unsure of her age. I got her the same day ***** ***** passed away back in 2009 in June. The rescue group gave her approximate age as 3-4 years old, so she's about 11 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there? In what state are you licensed?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

I am here, I am licensed in Michigan & Ontario, Canada.

I am very sorry to hear about Lucy's lethargy, loss of appetite, increased thirst, and loose stools with blood and mucous (gelatinous component). I understand that she has a rash, but I am not sure that is connected, unless she is in liver failure or has diabetes which predisposes to secondary infections.

Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. The fresher the blood appears the closer the source is to her rectum.

The important factor in all of this is how your girl feels otherwise. Given her loss of appetite and lethargy along with a ravenous thirst I am very concerned. I suspect her extreme thirst is related to dehydration from profuse bloody diarrhea, but it may also be indicative of underlying ketoacidotic diabetes, or organ failure.

There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. These dogs have profuse dark, jelly-clot like, bloody diarrhea. They are very sick dogs and get dehydrated quickly so they need immediate care. This sounds very much like what is going on with Lucy so an emergency veterinary visit is best today.

Colitis or inflammation of the large intestine, can also be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides. But these conditions don't make most dogs as sick as she is.

I highly recommend an emergency clinic visit.

If that absolutely isn't possible let me know, and I can give some recommendations, but I am worried they will not be enough to help her today.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I'll see if I can safely get her to a vet today. Lots of ice and snow on the road here in Raleigh, NC. I'm unsure I can handle the driving...Wish me luck!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

I wish you both the best of luck! Please drive carefully.