Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Kennel Cough, is there something i can buy at drug store

Customer Question

Kennel Cough, is there something i can buy at drug store without going to ER today?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Moose, 9 year old boxer--he had pnemonia when he was 7 weeks old, no cough or symptom since then
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moose?
Customer: he was around a 6 week old lab puppy during last week of December, playing a lot together, since then the cough emerged and truly presented last night. he would get up from sleeping and cough--about 3-4 times. No loss appetite, no other symptoms, when he is up and about he seems cough more. Our air is also dry in house, it's very cold here with a storm in NC.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now provided that Moose has no breathing issues with this, we can just monitor him at this point. Kennel cough is a general term that refers to a bacterial (bordetella) and viral (parainfluenza) infection. If he has the viral one, then often it needs to just run its course. Of course, if the bacterial one is present then antibiotics from his vet would be necessary.

Though for the moment, you can monitor him and use supportive care. To do so, we will want to put him on a soft diet for the next few days to avoid any further irritation to the throat. As well, to reduce and soothe this cough, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. Of course if the cough persists over the weekend then we'd want to consider a check up with your regular vet once they are open to have them dispense an antibiotics for that bacterial concern.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.