Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I gave my Great Pyrenees I large cooked beef bone bone

Customer Question

I gave my Great Pyrenees I large cooked beef bone bone yesterday. It was more like a wedge of cartilage. She managed to ingest it all rather than gnaw on the ones that are circular. She had considerable diarrhea during the night and has vomited small amounts this AM, some contained cartilage. Her abdomen is soft; she drinks and is active. Any reason for concern? Should I keep her NPO?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your Great Pyrenees eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, other than the cartilage. She was a 'rescue' and had major GI issues the first 6 months related to coccidia infections. Diarrhea is nothing new.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Great Pyrenees?
Customer: She's 72 lbs., small for the breed due to the early guard and coccidia problems; otherwise normal (awesome)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any blood or brown coffee ground like material in her vomit?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?