Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 9 year old Black Lab has recently developed a condition

Customer Question

My 9 year old Black Lab has recently developed a condition in which she is drinking copious amounts of water (approx. 1-2 gallons per day) and has urinated twice in the house during the night in the past two weeks. She is a well trained dog, and has never done so before. We have also noticed that she is much more gaseous as well. She is passing, on average, every 30 minutes or so, and this has been going on for about the same time period as her need to drink more water. She is an inside/outside dog and gets normal exercise since we live in the countryside, and she is able to roam free. My family would be very grateful for any ideas you may have.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Has she had any tests for this?

Is her urine watery/dilute as well?

Any appetite change or weight loss?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has been going in now for about 3 weeks the best that I can tell. We have not taken her for tests as of yet. Not certain about the dilution the urine. It may seem to be slightly more watery. We have not noticed any appetite change or weight loss. Something I did forget to mention though is that she is moaning a lot more when she is laying on the floor and changing positions.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I share your concern about Katie.

When we see increased thirst and drinking in dogs, it can be an sign of a range of issues. At her age, we have to consider metabolic/hormonal diseases (ie diabetes, Cushing's disease, Addison's disease, etc), bladder infections, inflammatory processes, and organ troubles (ie liver, kidney, heart). And while it is not nice to think about, at her age, we also have to consider the possibility of cancer being involved here. And just to note, the gas is likely what is causing her discomfort (as it stretches her gut, though some inflammatory processes like pancreatitis and bladder infections can do this as well) and is likely just a side effect of her systemic issues. So, if she is gassy, we can at least try to counter that by adding OTC activated charcoal (250-500mg) to her food.

Now in regards ***** ***** more pressing signs, it would be ideal to have a check up with her vet. They will be able to listen to her heart, and check her for any sinister lumps or bumps. If you do have her seen, it would also be a good idea to ask her vet check a blood sample. This will allow you to check her organ function (to make sure they are working as they should), rule out diabetes, infection, and give you an idea if hormonal diseases may be afoot. Depending on the findings, you will be in a position to address this appropriately for her and determine her long term prognosis.

If you aren't keen to have her seen at this stage, then I would note that you can also consider submitting a urine sample to the vets. The vet will be able to analyze it and determine if there is anything abnormal. They will be able to appreciate changes to the urine's white blood cell content (a marker of infection, which is good to rule out since it is so commonly seen secondary to diabetes), and the presence of glucose/ketones (markers of diabetes). Furthermore, they can check the urine specific gravity to check on her kidney function. So, that would be a good non-invasive means of ruling out some of these concerns for Katie. And depending on their findings, you can discuss the next step +/- treatment with her vet.

Overall, Katie's signs do suggest that we may have one of the above systemic issues. So, we'd want to settle her gas for her but it would be ideal to have a urine +/- blood sample to identify the cause for these signs. Once we are able to identify the cause, your vet will be able to advise you on appropriate treatment to settle these signs for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your timely and detailed response. I hope that obtaing the urine sample won't be as difficult as I assume.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Its usually not too bad with dogs, cats are more of a challenge. Though if Katie tends to squat quite low, you can use a clean cookie sheet (throwing it away after of course) to catch a sample to submit for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks again! She is a very low squatter, maybe even touching at times, but I am going to give it a try.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome again. :)

And hopefully we can get her more comfortable and happier in her photos. ;)

All the best,

Dr. B.