Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I dropped a prescription celebrex tablet, and my dog grabbed

Customer Question

I dropped a prescription celebrex tablet, and my dog grabbed it and swallowed it. i forced hydrogen peroxide down her and she vomited it up. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She's 7 months old and weighs about 13 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Did she bring the tablet up when you induced vomiting?

What milligram was the tablet?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is fine now. She did vomit up the capsule, which was a 200 mg celebrex. I was concerned about the hydrogen peroxide. I poured about 2-3 tablespoons down her, and now I am reading that that was about three times what she needed. I am currently snowed in at my house and cannot get out to take her to the vet, so your help would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

That is great to hear that she did bring that up since that was the major risk here. In regards ***** ***** hydrogen peroxide, that was quite a bit but its a "lesser evil" here. If anything we tend to just see it cause irritation to the stomach and nausea. So, in this case, if she has any gut upset stool, we can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again you did right (though 1ml per pound next time) and we'd just use supportive care to soothe her stomach after this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )