Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Not sure. Panting. drinking ok and walking around ok just

Customer Question

Not sure. Panting. drinking ok and walking around ok just wants me to pat him and he is restless
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sorry medium sized staffy x blue heeler 9 yrs old Was ok about 2hrs ago.
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yep he is my dog
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: can't see anything. i've checked him over as best i can. We went walking in the bush yesterday and he was tired after and i found a tick on my pants but none on him.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: I think it was a Kangaroo tick. Not sure if he is in pain
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jack
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 13 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Jack who has been panting and restless. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 13 days ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Jack's panting and restlessness is definitely a real concern here, but as you can probably appreciate, there are a large number of possible causes for your boy's symptoms today. We need to consider everything from early symptoms of tick bite paralysis, to early gastroenteritis, a toxicity, musculoskeletal pain, or even an internal organ issue. Hopefully he is eating and drinking as per normal at the moment. If he seems weak at all, or if his panting doesn't settle in the next 20 minutes, then you really do need to get him seen by your local vet or ER vet now.

For the next 30 - 60 minutes, please keep a close eye on Jack's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Jack and hopefully this panting settles soon, but if not, as above - please do get him seen this afternoon. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc