jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My dog Riley has a ACL injury for what ever reason just out

Customer Question

My dog Riley has a ACL injury for what ever reason just out of no where, and I had the X-rays done and the consultation done.
JA: I'm sorry that Riley is feeling poorly. What is the matter with Riley?
Customer: My Vet said he needs surgery for a ACL
JA: Where does Riley seem to hurt?
Customer: His knee according to X-rays
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: He walks on his paw and favorites, he really never has pain yet.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have taken him to my vet, and had X-rays done and she said he has a tore crutient legament (ACL) and the other doctor confirmed.
JA: How old is Riley?
Customer: I was told when I got him from a shelter about 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?
Customer: He was on the KILL side of the shelter when I rescued him, and an agency got him and I did a adoption a couple years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 3 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What breed is Riley?

How much does he weigh?

Is he a calm dog or active?

Is he a good candidate for surgery?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Riley is a Black Lab/Mix I was told when I adopted him American Bull dog.
He just was weighed at the Vet clinic on 1/4/17 and was almost 76 lbs.
He is on pain medication, and does not feel his injury, and still is very active and wants to run.
The doctor said he is a very good candidate for surgery.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

Unfortunately larger dogs really need to have surgery as they seldom heal on their own and usually if they do, the other knee follows the first as it is taking the stress off of the injured knee. As a result, even with surgery the opposite knee may develop the same injury. It is fairly easy to damage the knee. I've personally tore both of my own knees.

Injury can occur from a slip and just catching themselves can twist the knee and result in a tear. They might sustain a hit from another animal while playing rough that causes the injury. One of mine occurred when a dog hit the side of my knee during play. I had a smaller dog sustain an ccl injury from a car accident and another from landing wrong jumping from the back of a pickup truck. The the injury can occur without an owner really knowing exactly what happened.

Given his size surgery is his best bet at regaining the full use of the leg before it is damaged further. I would have cautioned you to keep him as inactive as possible until surgery to prevent further injury. When they have pain killers and anti-inflammatory meds they don't feel they are injured and wll move more like they normally do and can tear the ligament even further.

You will want to ask your vet about post op care as often there is a period of limited activity and physical therapy which often include water therapy to strengthen the leg again. You might ask also about a brace during recovery for the let or one for the opposite leg to help prevent that knee from being injured.

Read more on the various operations here:

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/orthopaedics-cruciate-ligament.pdf

http://www.saintfrancis.org/2013/07/cruciate-repair-tibial-plateau-leveling-osteotomy-tplo-tibial-tuberosity-advancement-tta/

Here are some sites that compare knee braces.

http://dogaclbrace.com/our-research/dog-acl-brace-comparison/

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.