Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate about 2-4 pounds of old ham Last night and has

Customer Question

My dog ate about 2-4 pounds of old ham Last night and has diarrhea today. .. what can I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Saia. . 6 years She's half lab half pit she's about 70 pounds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Saia?
Customer: She also peed on my bed and pooped on my bed last night. .. the diarrhea didn't start until today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lethargic kinda... no vomiting
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it possible that the accident in my bed and the ham are related. .

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Sorry, one last question. Did she eat the bone as well?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No... it was boneless

OK great, please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Yes, it is common when dogs are having gastrointestinal issues to urinate or defecate in odd places. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Symptoms that would require ER vet visit are lethargy, vomiting, abdominal swelling, pale gums, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter