Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been having diarrhea for about 36 hours and has

Customer Question

My dog has been having diarrhea for about 36 hours and has vomited 3 times. Will not finish her food. 19 weeks old. 20lbs. Night before last without us seeing ate chicken off my daughters plate that was cooked in the crockpot wth onions garlic tomatoes peppers. Probably 4 bites of chicken.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- Any blood diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she's lethargic but no blood.she tends to be a very laid back dog in general though so hard to tell. She will play some but I guess not as much....will follow some then lay at Your feet. During the night last night was restless for several hours. Today more low key all day.

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Can you take her rectal temperature?

3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I can't.They look pinkish.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Natalie, diarrhea, and vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes in a puppy are dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that this has been ongoing for 36 hours I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can for a hands-on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting and diarrhea the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination as soon as you can.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could this be due to her eating the chicken that was cooked in peppers onions and garlic?

Yes it can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
At what point would it be reasonable to think she should stop having diahrrea if she ate it on Thursday night?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has had it much less today then yesterday and last night. Like twice vs 9 times. But not solid stool still.

Natalie, diarrhea is not a disease but a symptom of an underlying medical. For example, if this is being caused by a parasite like coccidia until she is not treated with medication the diarrhea will persist; if this is caused by the ingestion of a foreign body until the foreign body is not removed the diarrhea will continue. So, it really comes down to knowing what is causing the diarrhea. For this reason I recommended having her checked by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test.

Hi Natalie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter