Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I messaged earlier about my dog swallowing a hook she's

Customer Question

Hi I messaged earlier about my dog swallowing a hook she's spewed twice now and just had the attached nylon sticking out of her mouth but swallowed it back down. do we wait to see if it comes out either end or what do we need to do?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 17 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that your pup swallowed a fish hook two nights ago, has vomited twice, once with fishing line coming up and her reswallowing it, and has had bloody stools.

All of her symptoms point to the hook being lodged somewhere. It is not likely to get free, and my concern is that if the hook perforates her gastrointestinal tract it could lead to peritonitis, or infection in her chest, depending upon where it lodges and perforates.

This is beyond home care, she needs an emergency clinic visit and probably surgery.

Best of luck with your little one.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks she has just spewed it up now.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 17 days ago.

That is very fortunate. Please watch her for signs of fever, difficulty swallowing or lack of appetite and have seen should those occur.