Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have two yorkies and just gave them there monthly

Customer Question

I have two yorkies and just gave them there monthly sentinel. One of them may have eaten two. Little piggie jumped over to the other dogs bowl.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Eddie and Gus
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eddie?
Customer: No - very healthy 8 lbs 5 years old
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do you need additional information.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 days ago.

I understand that you are concerned that one of your pups may have eaten both of your pups Sentinel flavor tablets.

This heartworm/flea prevention contains milbemycin oxime and lufeneron.

The good news is that both of these drugs are very safe and very well tolerated in dogs.

In fact we can use much higher doses of milbemycin then we use for heartworm prevention to treat demodectic mange, up to four to five times the dose used for heartworm protection. Beagles were given a one time dose of 90mgs of milbemycin per pound of body weight in an experimental setting with no adverse effects.

Lufenuron only affects insects in that it interferes with chitin synthesis, which is an integral part of their egg production. Because mammals don't produce chitin, it's not an issue for them.

There have been reports of nausea and diarrhea in some dogs taking Sentinel, even at normal doses, so you may see that with your pup, but that should be all that you see. I wouldn't worry about a one time high dose of this medication.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. That is very helpful. In the future I will keep them separated when they get the pill in their food.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 days ago.

Sounds like a great plan.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara