Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She's whining in pain from back legs. Has epilepsy and

Customer Question

She's whining in pain from back legs. Has epilepsy and cannot take her to a vet, she has a bottle of expired tramadol is it safe to give her her dosage?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Macie and she's 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Macie?
Customer: No she did this 3 years ago and a few days in tramadol and she was fine since
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Maci. Because tramadol has caused seizures in humans, it should be used with caution in animals with preexisting seizure disorders. Over the counter aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol) dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily are reasonable alternatives. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She did great on tramadol helped her back to normal in a few days, I still have some that are expired! Can she take her allowed dosage even with them being expired

They may not be as potent but they wouldn't be harmful due to degradation. Dosing of tramadol is now cited as 2-5 mg/lb up to every 8 hours and so you might bump up the dose a bit should they have lost potency. Please continue our conversation if you wish.