jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My 9 ur old chi woke up w her left eye puffy and shes

My 9 ur old chi woke up w her left eye puffy and shes lethargic. Doesnt want to eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Corina
JA: How old is Corina?
Customer: 9 yrs in march and she's in tact.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Corina?
Customer: She ate some of my chicken picatta last nite before bed.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

With a 9 year old chihuahua, the first thing I would suspect with a swelling near the eye and her not wanting to eat would be the possibility of a dental issue. An abscessed tooth will cause swelling under the eye which can cause the eye to be puffy. Of course she would not want to eat with a painful tooth either. So the first thing you will want to do is check for any dental issue. Look for red, inflamed gums, tarter buildup, broken or obviously decayed teeth especially in the back of the mouth. You will need to have her seen if you find any dental issues so they can be resolved and antibiotics given.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/tooth-root-abscess-in-dogs/4740

http://www.avdc.org/periodontaldisease.html

If this does not seem to be a tooth issue, it may be the start of an eye infection such as conjunctivitis or she may have even gotten a foreign object in the eye causing her discomfort. You might try flushing your dog's eye with sterile saline solution like contact lens wearer’s use. Your vet will have to be consulted in order to get some medicine for your dog. Frequently an antibiotic eye drop is given for this condition. Sometimes Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment is used for these problems. You can read more about canine conjunctivitis here.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1606&articleid=251

Canine conjunctivitis is a common eye problem. It can happen by itself or indicate an underlying problem. Finding the underlying problem can prevent future bouts with conjunctivitis. Underlying conditions that can cause conjunctivitis is KCS (dry eye, insufficient tear production, upper respiratory diseases such as kennel cough. Usually with respiratory infections there will also be coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, fever, lethargy and loss of appetite. Conjunctivitis can also be cause by a foreign object in the eye or chronic irritation from a development problem of the eyelid and lashes where the lashes rub constantly against the cornea. Here are some common Eye conditions.

http://www.acvo.org/new/public/common_diseases/common_diseases.shtml

Allergies can cause localized swelling as well. Insect bites are common causes. Benadryl can be given at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours. An allergic reaction might also cause some swelling in other areas or some nausea. Given Corina's age and not wanting to eat, I'd try to get her seen as soon as you can. To help prevent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) from not eating rub a little karo syrup or pancake syrup on her gums.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I believe it is an absessed toothe. Thank you

You are very welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
jadedangel57