Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We just woke up and noticed that our 1 yr old dauchund has

Customer Question

We just woke up and noticed that our 1 yr old dauchund has pooped in several places throughout the house that's unlike him. He usually only goes on the pad in the bathroom. Upon entering the bathroom we noticed several bloody spots of stool and the rest being really soft stool.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oliver
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?
Customer: He is currently being treated with nexguard for demetex. We give him hartguard every month and he is missing his rabies shot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Was all the stool looser then usual?

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The initial stool was hard, then I'm guessing throughout the night he kept going. Just now he went again on the pad and it's very loose and wet now and the first drops were almost all blood then he repositioned himself and very loose wet stool came out and then again diarrhea like stool. His gums are a light pink in color and moist. Pressing on his belly there is no tension or tenderness however he does look at me and his belly. There is stuffing from a toy however this isn't unusual as he loves taking the stuffing out of them once he has opened a hole in his toy. We had blood work done by a vet in Early December and according to the vet it was ok. Around his anus is a slight pink irration in guessing that's from him sliding across the floor as his area bothers him after he goes.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if this started with a hard stool, then we'd be suspicious that his current signs are due to an inflammatory colitis from passing this. This isn't uncommon to see and the blood tends to appear with the straining and inflammation of colonic blood vessels but then continues as the looser stool irritates the tissue. With this in mind and since Oliver hasn't any of those urgent signs I asked about, we can start some supportive care here.

To start, we can offer a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and help with stool consistency. As well, we can add canned pumpkin (rich in fiber) to firm the stools quicker. Or if he is very runny, then there are Kaolin/probiotic pastes like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) that could be used. Again all will help normalize the stool but the last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI. Of course, if we use these and he isn't settling in 48 hours or so, then we'd want to have him +/- a stool sample checked by his vet to make sure there are no infectious issues involved in this colitis.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )