Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have two dogs, one of which is diabetic and has had

Customer Question

I have two dogs, one of which is diabetic and has had pancreatitis. Somehow one of them not sure who got hold of butter and ate it. Lots of vomit, some loose stools overnight. they look like my older dogs-who is not diabetic. no one is throwing up or pooping currently. just keep an eye on them? try to feed them and see what happens?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: there are two dogs-Munchkin is a 15 year old dachsund. The diabetic dog is an 11 year old mixed breed dachsund.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about dogs-Munchkin?
Customer: No, Muncchkin is very healthy. Minchi had pancreatitis last year when her diabetes was diagnosed.She has been healthy since starting her insulin.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Oh dear! The butter isn't ideal for either condition Minchi has.

Though it is positive that no one is appearing to be overly suffering with this butter ingestion. And in that case, we do want to monitor this situation. Though we can use some supportive care at this point to just offset any risk of more vomiting and diarrhea.

To start, we can offer both dogs a small meal of a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). If both remain settled, then we can offer that for 24 hours and then wean them back to their normal diet. Though if the culprit makes themselves known, we can feed this as long as need be and can add canned pumpkin to this to firm loose stool. And if either dog shows any nausea signs, then we can use an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee ones haves any other known health issues or are on any medications you haven't mentioned. But if both look well this morning, then we'd want to keep an eye but can start the above approach as needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )