Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My one and a half year old English bulldog was just

Customer Question

My one and a half year old English bulldog was just hospitalized last night. She did not eat yesterday and was very lethargic. When we brought her in she had a fever of 105.6 her blood showed low red cells and low platelets. Ultrasounds showed an enlarged spleen and her lungs looked normal. Also her globulins were high and alb? were low. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bulldog?
Customer: No I don't think so
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What treatments does her vet have her on?

Did they give anything for the fever and did it reduce?

Have they mentioned further testing they are planning to do?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They will be doing blood work to search for tick borne diseases and mentioned that they may need to do a biopsy of the spleen
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They said they were going to start an antibiotic and they did say they were bringing the fever down but I don't remember how
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
they said that her white blood cell count was normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Thank you,

Apologies for the wee delay there, I had just posted and its seems my internet had a hiccup. Anyway, I am very glad to hear that they are planning to check for tick borne disease since that is at the top of our list with the signs you reported.

Otherwise, as I am sure you can appreciate, her signs aren't giving us a lot to go on. They just suggest systemic infection/inflammation but don't give us a focus for this. Just to explain some of her blood work to you, to see elevated globulins and reduced albumin tell us that she is suffering with an infectious or inflammatory condition. As well, depending how low her red blood cell count is, that too can be an indicatory of inflammation. And just to note, if she has significant anemia, then we can certainly see the spleen enlarge as it has the capacity to make red blood cells when the marrow cannot keep up with demand.

Though to see the platelets down as well does mean we need her vet to check a blood smear to make sure that is genuine (as some blood machines will not accurately count platelets). As well, you didn't mention any chemistry values (ie looking at liver or kidney health), so do make sure that has been checked as well.

Otherwise, we do want her on an antibiotic and Doxycycline is likely what they will choose to use since it can counter more of the tick borne concerns than our other antibiotic options. As well, they can use a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory to reduce her fever, but since we have appetite loss we'd want her on an antacid to protect her stomach. And in that vein, it would be ideal to have her on anti-nausea medication in case that is affecting her appetite but also appetite stimulants (ie Mirtazapine). Fluids of course are ideal as well to maintain her hydration and support her until we have her eating.

Overall, I am relieved to hear that they are checking for tick borne disease since her signs do fit with many of those. As well, we'd want them to be using symptomatic care for her to keep her eating and drinking while double checking if those platelet findings are genuine. Furthermore, while checking for those tick borne issues, you may also want them to check a urine sample to just make sure we have no kidney based issues that may be being missed. But otherwise, it does sound like you are on the right track and we'd just want to modify treatment as needed as I noted above.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm not sure if they checked the urine but did say that her electrolytes were normal. They had mentioned lymphoma as being a possibility does that seem accurate with her symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Hi again,

Electrolytes are usually checked on bloods, so do make sure urine is tested but also double check that a biochemistry was done to look at organ function. Otherwise, lymphoma can appear in vague and odd ways, but usually GI lymphoma dogs will have diarrhea and thickened guts on palpation/scan. As well, often the other forms of that cancer will have enlarged lymph nodes, even some will have signs of elevated (and odd looking) lymphoid cells in the blood smear +/- elevation of the blood calcium. So, it cannot be fully excluded but sounds less likely for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.