Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My boxer is moving very little. He is not eating and waking

Customer Question

My boxer is moving very little. He is not eating and waking hunched over head down. This started last Saturday. Monday we took him to our vet and he felt him over, took his temp (101.2), and then did full x-rays. No fractures and ligaments looked good. He determinedid based on reactions that it was muscles in his neck and shoulders and sent us home with rimadyl -100mg. We are giving him one a day. He is drinking very little brother and only leaving his crate once or twice daily. How long does it take? Worried, maybe go back to the vet Monday? Any advice?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Very little broth * with a little food. Excuse the typos, please.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How old is your lad?

Is he only in the Rimadyl? Has his posture changed at all with this?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Any changes to his breathing?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is current on all of his shots.
He is a 4 years old.
No gagging, vomiting, lip locking, drilling, or gagging.
His gums and mouth are nice and pink and his breathing is fine.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lip licking.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am concerned about your lad.

To see appetite loss and hunching makes me worried that muscle pain isn't the whole story. Especially if he isn't showing improvement with the Rimadyl. Instead I am concerned that he may also have a degree of nausea even without vomiting. And if he does, then I would note that issues like pancreatitis and even severe gastritis (neither of which would have been seen on xray) can cause both nausea and pain in dogs. Furthermore, if he isn't eating well and we are giving Rimadyl, there is a risk of this drug causing gut upset and even a possible stomach ulcer.

Therefore, in this case, it would be ideal to have him back to his vet as soon as possible if he hasn't improved. Pancreatitis can be diagnosed with ultrasound or a blood sample and infectious causes for gastritis could be detected if the white blood cell levels are elevated in his blood. Though further to that we'd want his vet start symptomatic care for him. Anti-nausea and appetite stimulating medication would be ideal here. And if he is drinking poorly then fluids would be indicated as well.

Though that all said, if his vet isn't open just now then you can at least start an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. These will reduce nausea but also help protect the stomach as you give that pain relief. So, ideally we'd want to use one of these every 12 hours before food and the Rimadyl. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we'd want to keep tempting him to eat. Favorites are allowed or you can try a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. And since he isn't actively vomiting, if he cannot be tempted then we can offer or syringe feed watered down Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, puppy food, Dogsure, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And if his drinking is poor, then those liquid diets can especially be of help. Though with those and water, we need to be syringing at least 48ml per kilogram of his weight over every 24 hour period to keep him hydrated.

Overall, I am concerned that there is more then neck pain causing your lad's signs. Therefore, we'd want to consider symptomatic care just now as well as protecting the stomach from any issues with the Rimadyl. Otherwise, we'd want to push food and fluids with the above to keep his intake up until he can be reassessed here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )