Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

7 lbs chiuacha ate a .5 xanax. What should I do, Sophie 5

Customer Question

7 lbs chiuacha ate a .5 xanax. What should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie 5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok

Luckily this is a fairly safe medication and although this is above the normal range for her size (0.3 mg would be high end) you likely will note only sedation from this dose. The high end dose is 0.1 mg/kg and this was an ingestion of 0.15 mg/kg and it was >100 mg/kg that was a lethal dose so you can see this is quite a significantly higher dose.

As a precaution and to minimize the sedative effects, if your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (3/4 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If you are unsuccessful or it is past an hour then please monitor for increased sedation that should peak in 2-4 hours and if you are noting that you are having difficulties rising her from a nap or any other symptoms listed below then please find a veterinary er in your area

There were 1452 single agent exposures to alprazolam reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of the 1324 dogs exposed, 725 were symptomatic. The common signs in the dogs included ataxia (73%), hyperactivity/agitation (24%), lethargy/sedation (21%), and vomiting (11%). Of the 118 cats, 80 were symptomatic with 79% ataxic, 24% vocalizing or agitated, 14% polyphagic, and 13% lethargic.

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am going to be taking a dinner break unless I can be of any further assistance?

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Sophie doing? Did she have any further issues besides lethargy from the xanax? I would love an update when you are able.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman