Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!
For a normal dog her age and size, her levothyroxine dose would be approximately 0.5 mg which is approximately 1 & 2/3 tablets of this product so ingesting 29 tablets is an overdose.According to the veterinary formula: A single acute overdose in small animals is less likely to cause severe thyrotoxicosis than with chronic overdosage. Vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity to lethargy, hypertension, tachycardia, tachypnea, dyspnea, and abnormal pupillary light reflexes may be noted in dogs and cats. In dogs, clinical signs may appear within 1-9 hours after ingestion. If ingestion occurred within 2 hours, treatment to reduce absorption of drug should be accomplished using standard protocols (emetics, cathartics, charcoal) unless contraindicated by the patient’s condition.To minimize size effects and if your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 tbsp & 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.
I will type further but wanted to get you the immediate response now...
I would still try the peroxide to remove any possible thyroid medications still in the stomach. While I cannot diagnose this via the internet I can tell you the following :1. If two or three hours have passed then it is now too late to try and recover these meds by inducing vomiting.2. This sort of medication has a very high margin of safety in the dog so the chances are that if it is given as a one off dose then your dog will get away with this and may not show any symptoms. What is very much in your favor is that he is a bigger dog3. If you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should see an ER vet without delay. That said in this sort of position many owners would elect to just monitor their dogs and then contact an ER vet at once if any symptoms arise. These symptoms would include vomiting, diarrhea, change in activity ranging from hyperactivity to lethargy, elevated blood pressure, increased heart rate, increased respiratory rate, difficulty breathing and altered pupillary light responses. It would be expected that clinical signs appear within one to nine hours after ingestion.If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more please don't hesitate to ask
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad you were able to view my last responses. I am going to be taking my dinner break unless I can be of any further assistance this evening?
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is your Labradoodle doing after ingesting the thyroid medication? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today
If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!