Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our Russel Terier has been diagnosed with a collapsed

Customer Question

Our Jack Russel Terier has been diagnosed with a collapsed trachea she has been on prednisone for about 3 weeks,tritrated down. She is not eating well and shakes alot ...what else do you reccomend?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Reba and she is 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Reba?
Customer: He checked her again 2 days ago...he is aware of the fact that she has a small mammarary tumor but her lungs are clear.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry that your Reba is suffering so. It is challenging to say whether her symptoms are related to the steroids or the collapsing trachea so tapering the steroids and adding in famotidine (pepcid) at 0.25 mg/ pound 15 minutes prior to the steroids should be considered. For the trachea:

- Bronchodilators can help with tracheal dilation as well
- Benadryl or other antihistamines if there is any allergic component to the tracheal symptoms
- Ensuring there is no collar on and if there is any way to aid in weight loss (which it sounds like lack of appetite unfortunately will achieve)
- Discuss inhalers to aid in breathing
- A humidifier or nubulizer to dilate the trachea

Unfortunately in some cases surgery needs to be considered but often not a great option. As Reba these guys are a little older and depending on where the tracheal collapse is located surgery can repair that area but it can recur above or below the original lesion

Please let me know if this information is helpful or any additional questions I can assist with today. I hope you are able to help get her comfortable asap

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses, please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope that you were able to get your Reba comfortable

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!