Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Fontenot. Lethargic male dog. Assistant: Thanks. Can you

Customer Question

Michelle Fontenot. Lethargic male dog.
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My half Catahoula half pitbull male has always been a smiley dog. When the temperatures dropped to feels like 30s last night, I let them both in to stay in the kitchen with the oven on. He was not as smiley as usual, and he also seemed a bit immobile. Just not moving a whole lot. Last week I found two blown up ticks on him. I removed them with tweezers and it seems that the only thing left behind is a scab. I could visibly see the heads on the ticks that I dropped into alcohol. About a month or more ago, when it was very cold, in the high 30s low forties, I let them in at night again. At that time, he had a cough. It got better after he stayed inside in the warmth. Today when I got home, he was in his Igloo. His sister was outside in the covered patio barking. A little ruff every so often. She is the bossy one yet she wasn't going into her igloo. When I called them both to come in, she did not want to come in and he wouldn't either. I had to almost force him in and then she said outside. I finally got him in and he is lethargic, was shaking until he warmed up.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your male, please?

Tick borne infections won't manifest for 2-4 weeks after tick attachment. At this time his nonspecific symptoms are most consistent with hypothermia.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good advice, just a little late. (I guess Friday evenings everyone is off.) My dog recovered as predicted, so the diagnosis was right on.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.