Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I am trying to get an answer from a message I sent hours

Customer Question

i am trying to get an answer from a message I sent hours ago. I paid my 5.00 but have received no reply
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you.

I just recently came online and I'm sorry that your previous question wasn't answered.

Just to clarify, this is about Norman who has nasal congestion, correct?

How long has he had this problem?

Is he sneezing?

Thanks, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I see that you may be having difficult with the site. Are you able to access the questions I asked about Norman? Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is sneezing uncontrollably. At times
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Thanks so much for your response.

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format continues to be acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience:(

I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response and that the site seems to be confusing.

But please give me just a few minutes to type back a response for you if you're fine continuing with this format. Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now his sister is beginning to show symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

This doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. I'm fairly certain I know what's going on and I'll continue typing my response about this problem which now appears to be affecting more than one of your cats. Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cant afford phone call. Only authorized 5.00 charge so far
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

It sounds as if you have your cats may be suffering from an upper respiratory infection (URI) or the cat flu. This condition is somewhat similar to a cold in humans in that they are usually secondary to viruses: Herpes or Calici viruses are the two most common causes of this condition in a cat.

And, it's quite common for shelter or rescue cats to be exposed to these viruses which can then be transmitted to other cats. I believe you indicated that you have three cats so the other one may also start to show symptoms soon...or not. Just like the cold in a human, not everyone who is exposed will develop symptoms.

Secondary bacterial infections can develop (the nasal discharge can be green or yellowish in color) and when this happens, antibiotics are usually dispensed.

These episodes typically last anywhere from 10-14 days just to give you an idea of the time line.

What you can do for them at home would be the following:

1. Use warm water to clean the nose of any discharge that builds up. Over the counter artificial tears can be used to flush out the eyes should any eye issues develop.

2. Nasal decongestant drops can be helpful although many cats don’t like them very much as you can imagine. The medicated ones (a-c below) should only be used for three days in a row, with one drop in each nostril; otherwise what’s known as a rebound effect may occur. This is one reason why I prefer"d":

a. Pediatric otrivin=0.05% xylometazoline

b. “Little Noses" Decongestant Nose Drops with phenylephrine hydrochloride
c. Oxymetazoline which is the primary ingredient in Afrin or Zicam

d. "Little Noses" Saline Spray/Drops non medicated which can be used more than three days in a row.

3. You can place them in a bathroom with hot water running so that the steam can loosen up secretions although this is somewhat wasteful of water. An alternative would be to run a humidifier or boil water on your stove to moisten the air.

4. L-lysine can help if any eye issues should develop. Herpes viruses can settle in the eyes and cause issues there. This supplement would be given daily (250 mg). The feline product is available on the internet as either a chewable treat or a paste; the human version comes in a capsule and the contents can be sprinkled on wet food and given this way as another option.

5. Probiotics such as Forti Flora have been shown to help many of these cats with URI's; probiotics aren’t just useful for gastrointestinal issues. This particular product is available as a powder which is sprinkled on the food every day and can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.

Patients with the Feline Flu often seem to worsen before they start to show improvement so I don't want you to worry if this should happen.

Most cats will recover just fine but it may take a few more days.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your cats. How are they doing? Deb