Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

He has been pacing for 5 hrs and will not stay in the house

Customer Question

he has been pacing for 5 hrs and will not stay in the house although it is 15 deg outside. He is 7 yrs old and in good health. What is wrong?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: did u read above....constant pacing, won't lay down.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Blackjack
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blackjack?
Customer: usually very active but today needed help getting up into seat of pickup truck
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you, I am sorry that no one picked up your questions sooner.

Usually when a dog paces like that they are feeling sick or are in pain. Stomach aches will have a dog pace and want to stay outside as there is a need/feeling to vomit or have loose stools. They are also looking for something to eat to settle the stomach and this usually comes in the form of some type of grass or weed.

The fact that there was a problem getting into the pickup truck can indicate arthritis or back pain.

If he is not eating as much, I would try first something to try to settle the stomach. A Pepcid AC can be given with a teaspoon of wet dog food.

pepcid dosing

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

dose of famotidine administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours

If he is eating and there has been no vomiting or diarrhea then you can try giving him an aspirin with food for pain. Do not give this more than two days tops and use regular aspirin not ibuprofen or acetimenophen products

aspirin dosing http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

If this is persistent then you will want to get a hands on exam.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive