Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog seems to have a patch on her upper neck ,like a burn

Customer Question

My dog seems to have a patch on her upper neck ,like a burn .I looks like her hair burned off ,is this from her shock collar,and will her hair growth back?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is 4 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about sugar?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Sugar!

If she is wearing a shock collar, then this likely has caused this lesion. So, we need to remove it for her. Now in regards ***** ***** question, the hair usually will grow back since the damage doesnt' tend to be as deep as the hair follicles. Though if she has any open or moist lesions on this region of skin, then we'd want to start some supportive care to help them heal and prevent infection. To start, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream. This will help keep infection away as the skin heals. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, we may need to put a soft e-collar on (as long as it won't rub) and/or put a light bandage over it to act as a breathable cover to protect this. Of course, if the lesion is severe, gets larger (as some tissue can die off even after we remove the damage source), or are very sore; then we'd want Sugar's local vet involved so they can start dog safe pain relief, antibiotics and bandage/remove tissue as needed to ensure this heals for her and that hair can then regrow.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.