Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Not sure if he ate a gluconorm or not, it has been 90

Customer Question

not sure if he ate a gluconorm or not, it has been 90 mins...should I assume he is ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dogs name is ***** ***** he is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bodie?
Customer: he is on Apoquel
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The oral diabetic drugs such as repaglinide (Gluconorm) aren't expected to be active in dogs and so no adverse effects should arise in Bodie. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Bodie wasn't intoxicated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I hunted down two old (15 and 20 year old) studies which demonstrated that IV administration of this drug could lower the blood glucose of dogs. Whether it was a significant decrease wasn't mentioned, however. It would be prudent to overfeed Bodie as a prophylactic measure.