Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is in labor and I'm really scared. I've never done

Customer Question

My dog is in labor and I'm really scared. I've never done this before. Please can you walk me through this
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I just came online and saw your question. I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now.

How is she doing? When did the labor start? What breed of dog is she?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Basically if all goes well there is not much for you to do.

The first puppy should come within 30 to 40 minutes of labor; if she is pushing longer than that without a puppy being born, then she may need medical attention, such as injection to strengthen her contractions. I always tell dog owners to call the veterinarian if a dog is pushing 40 minutes without having a puppy. The uterus could tire out and not be able to push well enough to get the puppies out.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response. How is your dog doing? I hope all is well and that you have healthy puppies.