Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I am baby sitting Chihuahua for a month. He is 1 year 8

Customer Question

Hello Pearl. I am baby sitting Chihuahua for a month. He is 1 year 8 month. Right befire I tooc him he had rabies vacine. In about a week I noticed his ears edge got crusty and now it is got on a second ear and got bigger
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the baby's name?
Customer: He doesn't itch them, flaping sometimes, eats, very playful but thost crusts doesn't look good Charlie
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the baby?
Customer: Nothing, he never had anything like that before
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I sent the pictures how it looks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The next picture I took on Dec 17th. That's how it got bigger within around 20 days.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is it? And what could be the treatment?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His skin all over the body is clean and pink, no dandruff. For the last 5 days he doesn't eat in the morning, just in the evening after playing, he gets hungry and begging for human food at dinner after he eat his. Goes to the bathroom regularly and a lot throught the day. That part didn't change. He has good metabolism
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

It looks like you're dealing with an aural dermatitis. Basically a skin infection of the ear flap. This can be due to the decreased blood flow out there and lack of immune cells getting to the area.

I would treat both topically and systemically. Topically, I would use a Chlorhex scrub on the area. I would also use a topical antibiotic like SSD (silver sulfadiazine) or even an over the counter Neosporin. Systemically, I would use a 7-10 day course of Cephalexin, an oral antibiotic. That should get it cleared up nicely.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?