Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a stray dog that I believe had frostbite on it front

Customer Question

I have a stray dog that I believe had frostbite on it front paw.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the stray's name and age?
Customer: The dog has been coming here for over a year. I named it ralf
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray stray?
Customer: It's front paw was frozen when I found him this morning. I immediately soaked his paw in cool water to unthaw it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The paw is swollen with the toes pointing out. It still seems warm.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you describe the situation that lead up to Ralf's paw being affected?
2) Will you please attach a few photos of the paw?
3) Was the paw swollen before soaking?
4) What made you believe the paw was frozen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live on 30 acres and. The dog has been around for about a year. It's been below 15 degreeso outside. The dog yesterday morning showed up at my door. His front paw was hard appearing to be frozen solid. I soaked it in cold water until it became soft again. In examining it, it looked like he may have been caught in a fence, since a noticed a line frozen across his paw. The line went away after his paw warmed. I'm concerned that he had fristbite.

At this point my concern is past that of frost bite. Whatever caused the line is likely what caused the swelling, too. It sounds like this may well have originally been a strangulation injury which was made more obvious when the foot was warmed up and the tissue was no longer suffering from vasoconstriction. I would recommend an exam by a vet, diagnostics and likely a preventive course of antibiotics and pain medication. If this is frost bite, over the days to come the tissue may begin to die off and slough at which point he will be in more discomfort and you'll, again, need to get your vet involved for care which may involve tissue debridement on the paw and a series of bandages until the area stops sloughing and begins healing.