Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Ok so last evening they did an exploratory surgery on Marcy

Customer Question

Ok so last evening they did an exploratory surgery on Marcy and found a sock in her stomach. Tonight when I went to visit her she threw up Bile 4 x while I was there. They then changed her anti nausea meds and gave her something orally to coat her throats for the pain. She still seems extremely sick and I am so worried because they have said in order to take her home she has to stop vomiting, eat food and have a bowel movement. Because she was still vomiting bile they said it was unlikely I would be able to bring her home tomorrow but maybe we would see on Saturday. Is it normal for a dog to still be vomiting bile once they have removed the foreign object? I feel very uneasy about all of this as she is still so very sick and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of improvement 24 hours after surgery. Is this to be expected? They said she tested positive for pancreatitis but thought that was secondary to the blockage by the sock. When I asked the vet if this was normal she was not very direct with her answer. She said well she isn't rocking through her recovery but I am not worried yet. I have been unable to sleep since this whole thing happened and I just want someone to tell me the facts on what the possible outcomes could be. I know they cannot say for sure but just want to be able to know all of the possibilities... better to know what could happen then sit here crying and feeling lost and confused.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry you're going through this with Marcy. It sounds like you have both been through a lot this week.

A foreign body surgery can go one of many ways. The typical path is surgery, followed by ~ 12 hours of recovery and then they typically eat within 24 hours of surgery and they go home. That would be ~ 50%.

Another 30% will have a slower recovery and may take 24-48 hours before they get their appetite back.

The last 20% can be difficult. Some will continue to vomit or regurgitate due to esophagitis or irritation in the GI tract. These dogs are usually the ones that have part of the intestinal tract removed or they had been vomiting for 3+ days before they went to surgery.

The more difficult cases I like to put a naso-gastric (NG) tube in and start trickle feeding a liquid diet. This helps to get calories down to the gut and get it moving again. I find that it also helps that post-op vomiting/ regurgitation that we sometimes see.

I wouldn't worry too much at this point. It's not the norm, but it's definitely not completely unexpected. I would ask about putting in a tube and see if they like to go that route at the hospital she's at. Some are more comfortable than others with this assisted nutrition.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She came home today tested negative for pancreatitis this morning. Well tonight we took her to the emergency room because she was bleeding in between her stitches. When we got there it stopped and they did a full panel blood work and everything appeared with in normal range. She is now laying down in bed and she is bleeding again and I'm not sure what I should do. It just drips out.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The bruising has been there since the surgery and is not new
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hey, sorry for the wait.

That doesn't look too bad. The bruising is fairly minimal. The oozing/ dripping of a watery red fluid is also not too uncommon for a few days after surgery if they flushed the abdomen. The saline lavage is not usually all removed, so when we flip them back over and gravity takes over, it'll put that fluid just on the other side of the incision. Some of it will seep out and drip out. It usually stops within 24-48 hours after surgery. Some dogs may take 3-4 days.

Unless it's dark red blood, I don't get concerned. When it's that watery color (like fruit punch), then it's mostly saline with some blood mixed in.