Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I'm just wondering if it safe to give vetbest uninary tract

Customer Question

I'm just wondering if it safe to give vetbest uninary tract support supplement to a dog I've googled all the ingredients and thry are safe for dogs I couldn't get the urinary tract support supplement for dogs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She had a uti and now seem to have very little control over her bladder at times
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailee is a shitzu- pug and she is 4 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailee?
Customer: I don't think so other then the uti and loss of control of her bladder she is very healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Yes this supplement is safe for Ballee to take to prevent recurrence of a urinary tract infection but unfortunately it will not do much for the occasional leaking.

First, even though she is not showing any signs it would be advised to collect a first morning sample and rule out another urinary tract infection or recurrence of the one she has already had. Some dogs will not show any other signs besides leaking

For more information on urinary incontinence in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/urinary-incontinence-in-dogs

Once a uti is ruled out there are two medication options to treat this problem

1.) Proin which is given once to twice daily. I always take a baseline blood pressure to ensure there is no issue before starting this medication because it can exacerbate hypertension if undiagnosed

2.) Estrogen which is compounded and given 2-3 times weekly longterm. The primary side effect can be bone marrow suppression so it is advised to check a cbc prior to starting this medication and about one month in to ensure it has not effected the bone marrow production of red and white cells

Both are very effective and every veterinarian has a preference. I prefer proin but personally my dog got loose stool on it so she is on an estrogen supplement. Both of these are shown to strengthen the urinary bladder sphincter so that when relaxed female dogs do not urinate

You certainly can try the cranberry supplement to aid in prevention of infections but in my experience this will do little to resolve the occasional leaking issues. Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am online another 20 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!