Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has a cluster of about 15 blader stones that have to

Customer Question

My dog has a cluster of about 15 blader stones that have to be removed, however she also has a small assess on her back tooth. Can these two procedures be done once she is under anesthesia snd how safe is this
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mia age
JA: How old is Mia?
Customer: She is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mia?
Customer: She's over weight but we have had her on a diet which seems to be working and the vet gave her antibiotics for any infection
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for these multiple issues with Mia.

1. Is your vet planning on extracting the tooth or feels that it should be extracted?

2. Is it a molar, do you know?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The vet is planning on removing both the bladder stones and cleaning her teeth and if need be removing the back tooth. I am just wondering if this is a safe procedure to do both at once
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
is a molar
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My dog is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 13 days ago.

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format continues to be acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience.

If this is fine to continue this way, please let me know. Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
text is fine
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 13 days ago.

Thanks. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 13 days ago.

If this were my patient, I'd remove the stones first. If the surgery goes smoothly (which it should) and there are no complications (such as difficulty removing some of the stones based on their location) and my patient is stable, then I wouldn't hesitate to remove a molar as well as clean her teeth.

However, if she's been under anesthesia for a long period of time, then I might reassess addressing her teeth issues.

More than likely, she'll be able to handle both procedures at the same time. These days, we have extensive monitoring equipment and much better anesthetic drugs than years ago so that the risks are greatly reduced. This isn't to say that they're non-existent but just that patients handle anesthesia better.

Obviously, your vet will use his/her best judgment at the time but I wouldn't consider the risks to be significantly increased by having both done tomorrow.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When a tooth had an abscess
does it have to be removed.
Because I believe she scratched her gum with a bone and that created the absess not because her tooth is bad
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 13 days ago.

If there's only a localized area of infection and neither the tooth root is infected and/or the tooth itself isn't broken, then the molar shouldn't need to be removed in my opinion.

It may not be entirely clear what's going on until your vet gets a better look it it under anesthesia or if dental x-rays are done (although not every vet has the capability of taking dental xrays) but if this is what happened (she caused an infection by chewing on a bone), then the tooth doesn't need to come out.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 days ago.

Hello, again,

I'm just following up on Mia. How did things go with her surgery? Did your vet end up cleaning her teeth (and possibly extracting her tooth) as they planned to do? Deb