Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog is a choc lab 7 years old, I notice that he didn't

my dog is a choc lab 7 years old, I notice that he didn't get his winter coat in and has lost hair around neck esp,under his dog collar which is not tight on her. her hair is thin and brittel all over.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Abby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?
Customer: She has been a little down also.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Abby. I have a few questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. What is her weight like? Is she chunky or pretty slim?

2. And, when you say she's been a "little down", does this mean that she doesn't have as much energy as she normally does?

3. Does she seem to want to be near any heat sources you have such as a woodstove or where it happens to be warmest in your house?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Weight 70, chunky, she is a short lab. Not as much energy as normal. She doesn' seem to search out warmer areas.

Thanks for the answers to my questions although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you did so.

If Abby were my patient, then I'd want to consider Hypothyroid Disease as a possible explanation for the condition of her coat and loss of energy.

While there could be other possible explanations for her symptoms (a dog's coat can often change if systemic disease is present), I'd probably want to rule out a low thyroid first.

Hypothyroid Disease isn't always the easiest thing to diagnose in a dog but in most patients, the T4 will be low; additional testing is then suggested to help confirm that this might be the problem. Most labs will run this test when chemistries are submitted which can help to evaluate her other organs systems such as kidneys, liver as well as a cbc (complete blood count) to evaluate her red and white cells and platelets so that nothing is missed.

Treatment of Hypothyroid disease is easy and fairly inexpensive although these patients will need to be treated for the remainder of their lives.

If she weren't a little off in terms of her energy and it was just her fur which was the problem, then I might suggest a different diet ...which you could do anyway...but diet is not likely to be responsible for all of her symptoms.

I might also consider adding fish oil to her diet which may help regardless of any other underlying issue although this should improve if she is diagnosed with Hypothyroid Disease and replacement therapy is started. But, Welactin is a good veterinary brand name which is liquid that can be drizzled on the food. It's often available at local pet/grain stores or online.

I hope this helps to provide options for you to consider. Deb

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** take her to our vet.

You're more than welcome.

I think this makes sense at this point since clearly things are going on with her which are different.

While I don't want anything to be wrong with her, if there is, I'll be hoping that she has Hypothyroid Disease since it's so easy to treat.

Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb