Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have 2 dogs and they both started with diarrhea yesterday.

Customer Question

I have 2 dogs and they both started with diarrhea yesterday. Now it is bloody diarrhea. They do not eat the same food but started symptoms at the same time
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Phoebe is 12 and roman we think is about 8 he was a rescue
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Phoebe?
Customer: she is a labordoodle and I give her remadil ? for pain in her joints
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, cupful, more or less?

Are they both up to date on vaccinations?

Are each dogs' gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on their bellies, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could they've eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Is only Phoebe on Rimadyl?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is about a spoonful they are up to date on vaccines. they are both pink gums no tensing or tenderness. Nothing in the house. we take them both on walks together in the evenings both on leashes so it could be someone had their lawn sprayed ?? is possible. Only Phoebe is on Rimadyl and she has taken that for about 3 years
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to see if was just a small volume and that they are not showing those urgent signs I asked about. Now to see 2 dogs break these signs at once time tells us that we are facing an infectious agent or shared exposure to something harmful. Specifically, we'd be wary of bacterial infections (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter), viruses (ie Parvo, Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis), protozoa (ie Giardia, Coccidia, Cryptosporidia) or a harmful ingestion (if something has been sprayed it could affect both).

With this in mind, we'd want to start supportive care here. To start, we'd want to start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) can be added to firm stools and this is ideal since we cannot use anti-diarrheals until those above concerns are ruled out (since some of those viruses/bacteria will do more harm in the gut if allowed to linger) Canine OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be added to support their digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for both dogs, we need to keep an eye on hydration here. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure their eyes are not looking sunken and that neither has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have them seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, their signs do raise some concerns. So, we'd want to use the above just now but if they aren't settling in 12-24 hours, we'd need to have them seen and a stool sample tested. That way your vet can pinpoint the cause and start antibiotics, gastroprotectants, fluids, +/- anti-protozoal treatments if needed get them settled before this can take a toll.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )