Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 10 month old, male black lab. He was given

Customer Question

I have a 10 month old, male black lab. He was given noe/poly/dx op susp 5ml for his eyes. They were red and swollen, allergies. I recently noticed a lump (golf ball size) on the right side of his face between his ear and his eye. It does not seem to bother him when I touch it. It seems hard, not soft. Just curious if this could be swollen lymph nodes or an allergic reaction?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Juke
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Juke?
Customer: He is active, eats good. We do have another puppy and when the two are together, they are constantly chewing, rolling around with each other.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Any change of him rubbing or traumatizing the area?

Any change the puppy has injured him or broken the skin here?

Is the positioned above or aligned with the eye?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He does not rub or scratch the area, and the skin is not broken and I cannot tell if it is discolored because he is black. I would say it is aligned with the eye. I do not think you could see the lump in a picture. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am concerned about this lump.

It is not likely a lymph node since this is not where a node usually lies. As well if we can rule out trauma, then associated hematomas (blood blisters) would also be less likely. With those aside, our main concerns would be an allergic reaction but this could be secondary to a bacterial induced abscess/cellulitis or a blocked tear duct (if very close to the eye). In all cases these can all feel hard if severe.

With these in mind, we'd want to try to reduce this for Juke. To rule out allergic reactions, we can consider an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Further to this, we can warm compress the lump in case of any soft tissue inflammation with this.

If it settles, then we are happy. Though if you find this lingers or enlarges, then we'd want this rechecked by his vet and sampled. If infection is found, then antibiotics can be started to clear this. Or if a blocked duct is found then anti-inflammatories and unblocking of the duct may be needed. Though for the moment, we'd want to see if we can reduce this for wee Juke.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )