Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What can I give my dog for muscle cramps in her right front

Customer Question

what can I give my dog for muscle cramps in her right front leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes no wound its happened twice so far
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: lucy 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lucy?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any history of a trauma or fall?

Is she holding the leg up or dragging it?

If you feel up and down the leg, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint?

Any joint swellings or puffiness?

Is she on any medication or have any health issues?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No she just started doing it since it got cold
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Thank you,

Now if this is worsening as the weather gets chilly, it is more likely to be related to an underlying arthritis or joint issue than a cramp in the muscle. Therefore, I do want to touch on some longer term treatments as well as short term ones for Lucy.

To start, if we have mild underlying arthritis issues, we can often reduce these signs with warm compressing and OTC joint supplements. With these in mind, to start you can warm compress her cramping leg. This can be done a few times daily to just relax the muscles, soothe the soreness and help reduce any swelling. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). For OTC supplements, fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin can be of benefit. In regards ***** ***** former, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Again more of a long term option, but it can help this soreness and any from aged related joint issues. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration for her as well.

Finally, if you feel that she is very sore with this, has no other health issues and is on no other medications; you can consider offering her a low dose of buffered aspirin. This is a mild pain relief that we can use in dogs in these situations. (Of course, if she is in severe pain, then we'd prefer a dog specific anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl, Previcox, Metacam, or Onsior). Still, as for using the aspirin you read more about its use/dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin. And if you do give aspirin, remember to give it with or after food and consider pre-treating with an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you.!: )