Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!
Unfortunately it sounds like the medication has already left his stomach and is being metabolized. The dose ingested if one tablet was taken is approximately 1 mg/kgWhile not as toxic as the tricyclic antidepressants, fatalities and significant morbidity have occurred after paroxetine overdoses. In one retrospective study in dogs, a median dose of 7.7 mg/kg (range: 0.3 – 25.9 mg/kg; n = 5) was associated with clinical signs in overdoses, but no clinical significance could be differentiated from dosages that did not cause clinical signs (Thomas et al. 2012). Another retrospective review in dogs found the following overdoses and associated clinical signs: 1 – 3 mg/kg: vomiting, drooling, and lethargy; >3 mg/kg: agitation and seizures; <4 mg/kg (sustained-release product): sedation, drooling, and vomiting; >4.5 mg/kg (sustained-release product): agitation—no seizures reported from the sustained-release product (Mohammad-Zadeh et al. 2008). There were 222 single agent exposures to paroxetine reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of the 194 dogs, 33 were symptomatic with lethargy (36%) and vomiting (18%) being the most common.So according to the above expecting to see vomiting, drooling, lethargy are the most typical symptoms. But if you re seeing agitation I worry he is hyper sensitive to this medication and I would advise a veterinary er to counteract the effects and hopefully stop further progression of symptoms. I would err on the side of caution and not advise home therapy as he is already clinical and a veterinary er can give medications to symptomatically treat the agitation he is experiencingPlease let me know how else I can assist you both tonight, again I would advise a veterinary er tonight and not treat at home as his symptoms are likely going to escalate if it has only been an hour since possible ingestion
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you
I am glad you were able to view my responses. I am online another 20 minutes if I can be of any further assistance tonight
Unfortunately there are no home therapies. I would contact your regular veterinary clinic to find out what they recommend in case of emergency.If you are able to get him to drink (in moderation) without vomiting then that can help potentially to dilute the effects as well as leash walks to help it process through more rapidly
Good evening, I wanted to check in on your dog to see how he was doing after our conversation yesterday? I would love an update when you are able.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today
If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!