Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Legs are swollen real bad leaking puss and blood front legs

Customer Question

Legs are swollen real bad leaking puss and blood front legs not swollen but leak puss and blood been going on for two months been to vet already now they want me to go to
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Did culture found staff infection did blood test too and it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can't find my answer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I believe that your post was truncated and it should say "...to go to a specialist". This is an unusual presentation suggestive of the underdiagnosed lymphedema which has many possible etiologies and requires extensive testing including imaging, cultures, and biopsies to determine the cause. Lymphedema is a swelling of protein-rich interstitial fluid caused by impaired lymphatic function. The condition can be regional or widespread. The testing is more extensive than what most generalist vets are capable of performing; hence, the recommendation for referral. In my experience either a local or distant cancer that has metastasized is the most common cause of lymphedema in my patients.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?