Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate the absorbent part of a wet diaper. What should I

Customer Question

My dog ate the absorbent part of a wet diaper. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucky. He's 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: He has a sensitive stomach and is on hills d/d
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does Lucky weigh?

2- How long has it been since he ate it?

3- Can you give me an idea how much did he eat?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

He weighs about 23-24lbs. He ate it about 15 mins ago. He ate like half of a size 6 diaper maybe half cup to a cup. Yes I have hydrogen peroxide

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Jennifer, the concern would be a possible obstruction. I would try to make him vomit. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the diaper absorbent in the vomit change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the absorbent in the feces. Make sure you check his feces; if you don't find the absorbent within 48 hours I would have him checked by your veterinarian for x-rays with barium

4- If at any point during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter