Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog, a pomerainan, has a chronic cough, he has been

Customer Question

My dog, a pomerainan, has a chronic cough, he has been tested for heartworms with negative results. Is it safe for me to give him some type of children's cough syrup? He weighs 6 lbs and is almost 5 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Fuzzy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fuzzy?
Customer: He was attacked by a large dog as a puppy and we (the vet and I) feel he might have suffered some damage to his windpipe. Unfortunately, I am out of town and cannot take him to my normal vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief until you are able to return to your vet for stronger medication to control the cough

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant and is the most effective treatment

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs and trachea

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer. And in a dog Fuzzy's size it can have side effects that can be harmful to him so I don't advise this route

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both. I hope this cough is controlled soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman

Good morning, I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier this week. How is your Fuzzy doing? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!